Triaging can ensure that the patient is referred to the appropriate clinician for the appropriate level of care and within an appropriate period of time.
Video Triaging can further enhance the patient/practitioner interaction, as sensitive visual contact can reassure the patient, while providing the practitioner with a direct view of the patient, their level of distress, and possibly the condition being reported.
Video Use Examples
Outbound Video Triage Calls to Patients
Calls will be by secure invitation (sending the patient a 'Video Link' URL invitation via email or text message).
In the triage list, video callbacks to patients will be listed alongside standard phone calls according to patient preferred contact method.
Inbound Video Calls from Patients
Inbound video calls can be supported subject to analysis of surgery workflows. An example is assigning a triage slot to a patient and asking them to call into the surgery at that time, queuing or holding for the GP as required. Surgery Connect can treat inbound video calls and voice calls equally in call queues and real time consoles.
Between Healthcare Professionals
Surgery Connect users may be flagged as 'busy' during a video conference, with the system handling them as though they were on a standard phone call.
Configured call routing for inbound calls will be followed, for example, to select another user in the group or to go to voicemail.
Secure Video Recording
Secure recording of video calls can be implemented on a per call or per user setting.
- All video call recordings on the system are available from the appropriately authenticated console.
- Integration with EMIS Web will allow calls to be optionally tagged against patient records, alongside phone calls and SMS Messages.
- Video recordings are stored according to customer defined settings and may be deleted on demand. Once deleted, automatically or manually upon request, they are no longer available under any circumstances to meet with the requirements of GDPR.
- Recordings are stored securely and security may be linked to Emis Web login.
- Retention for call recording can be set on a per-surgery basis with the minimum being 1 month and the maximum unlimited. A typical retention period is 3 years.
- Effectively, Surgery Connect allows unlimited video recording under the per-user license.
There are many applications on mobile and fixed devices that support video communication including Skype, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp, Facetime and Facebook Messenger. When planning to support video communications with patients, consideration must be made to the following:
- Video or other calls between patient and professional using third party apps will not be subject to the Information Governance responsibility of X-on since they use proprietary methods of encryption and traverse different networks.
- Popularity of apps used for video communication waxes and wanes in individual demographics. When calling patients on outbound triage calls, selecting different patients' preferred device, app and options of video, audio or Instant Messaging communication has the potential for an over-complex system leading to operational issues.
The Surgery Connect approach of primarily supporting browser communication is a secure and future proof underlying design for all types of video communication. End-to-end encryption of communications and recordings, and hence IG Assurance, remains under our control.
For more information on the Surgery Connect Video Triage facility contact Sales on 0333 332 0000.